Best Time To Go
November - January
£2355 per person
4 out of 5
Combine the highlights of Northern Norway's Arctic capital, Tromso, with the remote island of Spitsbergen located just 814 miles from the North Pole. Maximise your chances of seeing the magical aurora by travelling during the polar night, an incredible period of darkness where the sun remains below the horizon making it possible to see the northern lights not just in the evening but throughout the day. Embark on a silent whale watching cruise, mush your own team of dogs under the moonlight, and search for the aurora by snowcat and snowmobile on this incredible adventure of a lifetime reaching 78° north.
Day 1 | Arrive in Norway
Arrive in Tromsø and transfer to the fabulous Clarion Hotel The Edge. Offering spectacular views of the majestic mountains and waterfront, this hotel provides the perfect base for Arctic adventures. Hop on the bus to the cable car and travel up the mountain for fantastic views of the city. Later dine in one of the city's wonderful restaurants.
Day 2 | Silent Whale Watching
Today you'll board the electric-hybrid Brim Explorer silent vessel for a cruise in search of Orcas and Humpback whales as they feed in the herring rich waters surrounding Tromsø. The boat’s hybrid-electric engine makes no noise or vibrations so as not to disturb life under the water. Return to Tromsø later in the afternoon and spend some time at leisure before dinner.
Day 3 | Fly to Svalbard
Fly to Svalbard and on arrival transfer to the most luxurious hotel in Longyearbyen. Funken Lodge is set against icy glaciers and mountains that salute the sky. Head to the hotel’s glass-wrapped restaurant, where the international cuisine is as tantalising as the views.
Day 4 | Dog Sledding & Snow Cat Aurora Hunt
Embark on an exhilarating husky sledging adventure beneath the glittering moonlight. Dash across icy plains and pass towering mountains whilst keeping a lookout for the northern lights swirling overhead. Return to the hotel and after dinner head out on an Aurora hunt by snowcat. Drive through the Advent valley enjoying the incredible views back towards the glittering city of Longyearbyen as you search for Mother Nature's most famous light show.
Day 5 | Ice Cave Hike & Longyearbyen
Spend the morning at leisure in the lodge before heading out to meet your professional guide as you embark on a hike into a magical ice cave. Enjoy some time at leisure in the afternoon. Why not head out and explore the small town of Longyearbyen.
Day 6 | Snowmobile Safari & Wilderness Dining
Today, you'll embark on an atmospheric snowmobile journey through the wilderness. The snowy landscape is home to reindeer and polar foxes. Keep a lookout for the northern lights painting ribbons across the sky which can be seen day or night at this time of the year. During the evening you will dine at Camp Barentz, located in the Svalbard wilderness.
Day 7 | Northern Lights Dinner Cruise
Fly back to Tromso and transfer back to Clarion Hotel The Edge for an overnight stay. Spend some time exploring this delightful city before boarding your final northern lights hunt by boat. Board the brim Explorer once more for a delicious three-course meal as you sail under the stars and hunt for the aurora. Return to Tromso harbour and take the short walk back to your hotel.
Day 8 | Departure Day
Rise early this morning and transfer back to the airport for your return flight.
Where will I rest my head?
- Airport bus transfers throughout
- Three nights accommodation at Clarion Hotel the Edge in Tromsø*
- Four nights accommodation at Funken Lodge in Longyearbyen*
- Tickets for the cable car, Fjellheisen in Tromsø
- 8-hour silent whale watching cruise onboard a hybrid electric vessel including local stew onboard
- 3-hour snowcat excursion to search for the northern lights including hot drinks
- 4-hour northern lights dog sledding adventure including hot drinks
- 3-hour polar night snowmobile safari in search of the northern lights including hot drinks
- 6-hour guided ice cave hiking adventure including hot drinks
- 3-hour northern lights and storytelling evening at Camp Barantz including homemade stew, dessert and hot drink
- 3/4-hour northern lights dinner cruise aboard the hybrid-electric Brim Explorer vessel
* This itinerary is based on two people sharing a double room at Clarion Hotel The Edge and at Funken Lodge.
Would you like a price including flights? Get in touch today.