Best Time To Go
November - January
£1230 per person
3 out of 5
Tromsø may be well inside the Arctic Circle in the far north of Norway, but it’s a surprisingly lively place with a wealth of activities and experiences. The setting, on an island surrounded by mountains, is glorious. This winter escape allows time to explore the city with it quaint wooden buildings and includes thrilling Arctic adventures, from silent whale watching to northern lights chasing.
Day 1 | Arrive in Tromsø
Fly to Tromsø and transfer to a hotel. Take some time to wander around the city in the evening. Perhaps opt to dine at Mathallen, one of the best restaurants in the city. The kitchen here is run by sought-after chef, Gunnar Jensen who always works with the best, arctic ingredients of the season.
Day 2 | Silent Whale Watching
Meet at Tromsø Harbour at 7:45am. You will travel out on a non-polluting catamaran to where the whales are in time to enjoy the short hours of daylight. On the journey take in the breathtaking views of frozen landscapes from the comfortable, panoramic lounge. Return later in the afternoon and enjoy dinner in Tromso.
Day 3 | Explore Tromsø & Evening Aurora Chase
Enjoy a leisurely morning and after breakfast take the short bus ride (number 26) to Fjellheisen, the cable car which runs from Solliveien in Tromsdalen up to the mountain ledge Storsteinen (421m above sea level). Here you will have a wonderful birds-eye view of the city. Return to the city and spend some time at leisure before heading away from the bright lights of the city by minibus to a basecamp location with experienced guides in search of the northern lights.
Day 4 | Reindeer Evening
After a day exploring Tromsø, transfer into the wild where you will meet friendly reindeer. Sit back and enjoy breathtaking surroundings as the reindeer pull you along on your very own sled. Return to camp and learn about the Sami people while tucking into a delicious hot meal in a traditional Sami tent. Return to Tromsø later in the evening.
Day 5 | Departure Day
Transfer back to the airport for your departure plans.
Where will I rest my head?
- Return transfer by airport bus.
- 4 nights accommodation at Clarion Hotel The Edge based on a superior double/twin room including daily buffet breakfast.
- Guided silent whale-watching safari aboard a hybrid-electric vessel including a hearty stew served onboard. Duration approx. 8 hours.
- Return ticket for Fjellheisen cable car (duration 4 minutes one-way).
- Guided northern lights hunt by custom built 4X4 minivan. Includes locally made food, biscuits and hot beverages and use of pro tripods & headlamps. Professional photos from the tour available to download free of charge. Duration 5½ - 9 hours.
- Guided evening visit to a Sámi camp to meet and feed their reindeer and watch for the northern lights. Includes transfers to and from Tromsø and traditional 'bidos' stew followed by hot drinks and cake/biscuits. Duration 4½ hours.
- All Where The Wild Is customers have free access to their holiday details via mobile travel app. All travel documents, detailed travel itinerary, flight details (when supplied), packing lists, resort information, dining recommendations etc are stored in the easy to use app, which is an excellent tool for travelling.
- Where The Wild Is have a dedicated 24-hour emergency assistance telephone line, which gives you peace of mind that should you need help while you are away, we are just a phone call away.
The silent whale watching operates from November 1st to January 31st when the whales are expected to be feeding in the herring-rich fjords. After this date, an Arctic scenery fjord can be offered.
Would you like a price including flights? Get in touch today...